Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Activation Day!

Wow! I just got home from getting this thing in my head juiced. Wow. I'm still a little stunned and relieved at how well it works so soon. Wow! I could understand my audiologist the moment she started raising the volume (she saved the beep tone tests for later). A little robotic sounding, but definitely a person talking. My biggest worry was that the sound would be unpleasant and annoying like when my hearing aids were cranked up, but it's not like that at all. I think I spent half the session just sighing to release the tension! We didn't do a lot of adjusting today, just ran though a quick tone series for 2 programs to set a comfortable level. Tomorrow I go back for a more in-depth mapping. I heard my wife's pants scrape together when she re-crossed her legs! I haven't heard a subtle sound like that out of my left ear in probably 20 years. Leaving the office building I was expecting to get blasted by traffic noise like always happened with hearing aids, but it wasn't like that. Driving in the car my wife and I were able to talk easier than in years. I could hear the car and road noise in the background but her voice was coming through well. Wow!!! I'm hearing "S" and "T" again! I had driven up to my wife's workplace from which we left to the appointment. Driving home from there I turned on a CD of James Brown (my little boy loves it). It was amazing to hear James Brown chanting "shake your money maker" over and over. It sounded a little fuzzy, as did the music. It's far from perfect yet but I'm really happy with this sound as a starting point. Thanks to everyone for your help and encouragement!

Other notes:

The sound quality this first day has a distinct electronic sound. Sort of a flanging effect. Footsteps and keyboard clicks have a little "boink" to them like water dripping. Voices are tending to sound deeper to me than normal. No munchkins, but a little weird all the same.

We had to install the strongest magnet to get it to stick, probably due to residual swelling since it's only been 12 days since surgery. I should be able to change to a weaker magnet in a few weeks. It needs to be as weak as possible to prevent irritating the skin over the implant.

I'm not wearing a hearing aid in my right ear for a few weeks to allow my brain to focus on adapting to my new left ear.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of CIs. Now you know how all of us felt the first day. Believe me(activation was August 8th), not a day goes by that I am not so excited with each second of each day for each sound that comes through.

The sound quality gets better and better. You need to put aside at least 30-60 minutes to practice words and sounds. It really makes a big differences.

And wait until you hear rain - that is a wow.

Valerie

Abbie said...

JEFF! You are the man! You had an awesome activation to understand what your audi said already! I am SOOOO happy for you :) I had the boinking as well. They were high frequency sounds that I haven't heard in ages. They went away with each mapping and are now a part of every day life. I'm doing the cabbage patch dance over here for you...jeff got turned on! Woo! I can't wait to hear what tomorrow brings! You should send me your email addy so I can send you sounds :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jeff! So very happy for you. If it's this good upon initial stimulation, then just imagine how you'll feel about in 6 months or 1 year!

Jennifer said...

I have been watching for this post all day and finally got to read read it about 40 minutes ago...but was stuck in an IM chat and couldn't get away!! You made my night...I am SO happy that you did so well the first day! It sounds like your activation was similar to mine...the sounds weren't uncomfortable or unpleasant...just different!
The good thing about having such an awesome first day is that this is just the beginning...it will get better and better!
I'm glad you got the magnet to work for you...I was just a little worried about that. It sounds like it went GREAT!! You have officially made my day today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geo said...

Oh man, this is the post I've been waiting on too! It's AWESOME that you were able to zone in to sound so quick. Fingers crossed I'm as lucky as you next Tuesday when they flip the switch on mine.

I've been trying to figure out what music I want to hear first. James Brown would be fun to intro the brain to! HA!

CONGRATS JEFF!