Tuesday, December 4, 2007

5 Days Post Surgery

Overall I'm feeling a lot better. I think the main problem I have now (other than one ear sticking out more, like Steven Colbert) is a nasty sore throat bug. At first I thought it was due to the breathing tube during surgery, but now I'm sure it's a bug since it's trying to move up into my nose. So I'm still a little whacked out from the bug and surgery. Speaking of which, on my last post I put the wrong date for my activation! It's on Tuesday, Dec. 11th (not Monday). One week from today!

I'm sitting here with my parents. They have been here since the day before surgery and have been a HUGE help to us -- and of course my son is in grandparent heaven! My wife had to go back to work yesterday so it is especially nice having them here now. They are planning on leaving tomorrow but I might just try to talk them into staying a couple of more days! I'm just now getting the chance to enjoy their company and could use a couple of more days of it.

I am amazed at the lack of strong pain so far. I took my last vicodin on Sunday night. I've been taking Aleve (otc naproxen) every 8 hours since then. I haven't had one now for 10 hours and all I feel pain-wise is a very minor earache so I am going to wait and see if I need any more painkillers at all. My doctor told me to ice the side of my head using frozen peas in a latex glove hourly for 10 to 15 minutes for the first few days. I did that religiously through yesterday. At night I woke every 2 hours to ice. Today I cut back to icing every few hours. I have also been keeping my head elevated at all times, which (surprise) isn't that hard during waking hours. In bed I have been sleeping inclined on three pillows with a fourth under my knees. It's comfortable but I'm starting to get sick of being in one position all night.

The tinnitus has subsided back to just a bit above normal, so not very bothersome. I still have some vertigo. I took a few walks outside the past couple of days and just don't feel as steady as usual. It's most pronounced if I tilt my head to the side or back. Thankfully my stomach has settled down and I have an appetite again. I'm sure my wife and parents are glad too -- the first few days I was so sensitive to smells I made them change several meal plans.

Thank you everyone for your comments -- they really help! I have lots of notes and pictures from the past days and expect to get a more detailed post up by the weekend.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oooooohhhh...getting sick....not fun! This is NOT the best time!
I'm glad the vertigo is a little better. I hated it...and was so glad when it finally got better...hang in there! :)

Jeff said...

Hi Jennifer! Today I think I'm finally over the hump. No painkillers anymore and it seems the sore throat peaked yesterday.

Also, I'm so glad you posted your post-surgery pictures. When the area in front of my ear started to swell up I'm sure I would have been worried if I hadn't known it was normal from your pics!

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Anonymous said...

I'm intriqued by the icing concept, we were never told to ice down Ethan's ear following the surgery - for either side. I wonder why not?

That's great that your folks were able to spend a few days, I'm sure they were loving on the boy as much as possible!

Jeff said...

Hi Hetha,
My surgeon told me most of the pain would be due to swelling, so the more that could be controlled the less pain. The frozen peas in a glove work great because they are very light and form to the site easily. One thing might be related: they used dermabond over my incision which is waterproof. No surface stitches.

Yes, my parents are having a lot of fun with my boy. They're resting right now after a "walk" around the block. Part of it was jogging to keep up with the little man!