Sunday, December 30, 2007

1 Month Post Surgery

To start, I have a request for those responsible for issuing the season's cold viruses: Stop! Enough already.

I am pretty well healed up from surgery. The incision scar looks good and most of the dermabond gunk has come off. My ear is just about back to its former position. For the past couple of weeks I am getting more sensation where some skull bone was removed to countersink the implant. It is not painful -- just a minor ache at times. I think I still have some slight drainage from the middle ear through the Eustachian Tube. But since I also still have a minor taste disturbance as well I am not completely sure. The left side of my tongue is mildly tingly and tastes are off on that side. It has improved since the surgery and I expect it will resolve soon. I occasionally have a slight sensation of fullness in my implanted ear. Whether it is due to the surgery or the ridiculous number of colds I'm getting I just don't know. Most of the vertigo and balance issues are gone, but I still don't feel completely back to normal. It is most noticeable when I'm moving around a lot -- just a tinge of a woozy feeling in my head. I suspect if I wasn't having to restrict my activities due to these darned bugs I would be over it by now.

It has been about two and a half weeks since my activation. I've noticed a good deal of improvement over that time. Everything is sounding more natural and I am amazed at how much I am hearing. Pitch is still lower than "normal" but I think that might be changing. Voices known to me such as my wife and boy sound closer to normal, and I am understanding more men's voices which are the most troublesome. If I stick my hearing aid in my right ear I think it is sounding higher than normal. It's hard to tell at this time and frankly I'm not quite sure what the hell is going on as far as the pitch goes.

I have more tinnitus in my right ear than normal. It is like it is complaining about not getting enough stimulation, since I'm not wearing its hearing aid. Either that or not liking its role reversal from dominant ear to subordinate. When I do put the hearing aid in on occasion it sounds loud, gritty and tinnier -- not nearly as clear and responsive as my renewed left ear.

Music still sounds marginally listenable at best. At the start of our road trip for Christmas my wife played a greatest hits assortment of David Bowie on the car stereo. It sounded like covers of Bowie with a deeper-voiced singer, like Andrew Eldritch of Sisters of Mercy! Some songs sounded okay and were recognizable like The Jean Genie and Ashes to Ashes. Others like Heroes sounded pretty awful. What was really bizarre and kind of funny was if we turned the volume up to the point where I could hear it with my right ear as well: it sounded like a strange harmonized duet because of the pitch difference from each ear. Weird.

We had a great time visiting our families. I've long had trouble holding any kind of meaningful conversation with my father and his brother as they are both soft-spoken. Christmas dinner has always been a time of interesting and often funny stories and it has just killed me to miss out on that more and more over the years. I think my first comment at dinner was, "you all are really noisy eaters." To which my uncle replied something like, "well, you've been awfully quiet the past ten years or so." So true. This year was definitely a step in the right direction. I could follow most everything said, with only an occasional request for repetition or help from my wife. And because I was able to actively follow the conversation I could jump in as well. It was really nice to do that. That alone was worth price of admission to the CI Club. I think it is quite hard for normal hearing people to imagine the affects of profound hearing loss. Isolation, disconnection and just feeling like an absolute idiot in the midst of conversation. I feel lucky that I was activated so soon after surgery, in time for the holidays. The only down side was that I still get worn out from the CI before bedtime and had to take it off before we were all done talking. But it was a good reminder of how much better the CI is -- with my hearing aid conversations were loud but I couldn't follow a damn one when we were sitting in a group. I could only converse closely one-on-one with certain people like my mom and sister, and even that was a struggle.

On a final note, I had another good CI experience. Our HD-DVD copy of the Blade Runner 5-disc collector edition arrived last week. We've watched the Final Cut version, the Dangerous Days documentary and most of the other featurettes. It is so cool to not completely depend on captions or subtitles! I am catching a great deal of dialog now. I still need the captions on occasion but I can mostly keep my eyes on the movie now. I used to get really pissed off when special content on DVDs was not captioned. They are usually interviews with crappy sound quality and I could rarely follow any of it without captions. Other than the five Blade Runner versions and Dangerous Days, none of the added material on this disc set is captioned. I still think that sucks, but with my CI I can now understand the majority of it -- that's a huge change for me. And for the record, Blade Runner looks extraordinary in Hi-Def. One of my favorite movies.

I have my 3rd mapping this coming Wednesday. I run most of the time at the normal 12:00 volume position. I'm still liking HiRes-S better at this stage (I am not sure that would be the case if the pitch was closer to normal). I don't think I'll need a lot of adjustment this time. But who knows what my audiologist has in store for me?

I'm sure this will be my last post for 2007, so... Happy New Year!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and yours as well Jeff! The fact that 2 weeks post activation you were able to hear and join conversations at a noisy dinner table is nothing short of spectacular! I can't get over that. Good for you man. I can't even imagine not enjoying the conversation with my family for any length of time, much less a decade.

You've sparked my interest in seeing Bladerunner, it has been so long that I can barely remember it now. And thanks for the Sisters of Mercy reference, talk about memory lane :-)

Jennifer said...

I have the nasty cold, too...you sure that it's not spreading through the blogs or something?
I'm so glad you're doing so well...I, too, picked up a lot more at the holiday tables this year (although I'm in dire need of a map and things didn't sound great, it was still wonderful to be able to hear the words)! I can totally relate to feeling isolated and idiotic in groups...I usually just kind of did my own thing and spoke only when spoken to...which isn't my personality, really, but it was easier than trying so hard to fit in.
I THINK my pitch is fine...thankfully. Music still isn't right but I am thankful for what I have ...knowing that it will continue to get better over the next few weeks and months. Honestly, if it never got any better, I'd still be grateful...but I have high hopes :)
I hope that 2008 is a wonderful year for you and your family, and that the best is yet to come! :)

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I can almost see myself in your blog. The part about not talking at the dinner table conversation is so me. This year I also was able to follow along with conversations. I use to be afraid to say something since someone else might have said the same thing, so I just did not talk. Now I am a part of the conversation.

Give music time, It will sound better. One thing I have notice is you need to spend time with one song at a time. Sit down, look at the lyrics and play the song. I spent a few weeks with just 4 songs. It trains yourself to pick up the instruments and words. I now have 40 in my music ipod and I adding a song a week.

Happy New Year CI buddies,
Valerie

Abbie said...

I have a ton of comments for you Jeff but first let me get my happy new year wishes out for you! :)

1. My tinnitus in my right ear acts up the minute I take my hearing aid out. All my hearing aid does is provided stimulation for the lower frequencies. It doesn't like being left out, that is for sure!

2. Reading the part where you are sitting at the dinner table brought the biggest smile to my face. I am one of these people that sit down at the table and inhale food so I can try to follow along with attempt to read the lips of my chewing relatives. This ear at Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was much easier. I can hear someone from all the way down the other of the table ask for the salt, hear the little jokes, hear ice clinking, and children laughing. It is so nice to be able to participate in all of that without just watching it. I'm so happy for you!!

3. I am just beginning to follow the TV without even look at it! Right now I am watching the Mummers Day Parade and the captions are off and like you last year I would have a hissy fit if I had no captions and I can follow along fairly well!

4. Good luck at your mapping tomorrow, my third mapping was mostly tweaking! I will be checking up on the post to see how you made out!

Happy new year! :)

Geo said...

Happy New Year Jeff!

I swear I'm reading my own post... You and I are hitting almost right on the same things. I wanted to stick my head into the Trans Sib concert the other night just to see if concert sound was different than radio sound.
I'm having the tinnitus in my CI ear but usually only when I hop out of bed in the morning.
Does your head itch over where the CI is? Got to be skin healing but man that drives me nuts!

Jeff said...

Hi Geo! Yep, I'm getting the "healing itches" over the implant too! Lots of knitting going on in there I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff!
Happy New Year to you! I will read your experiences with CI with great interest in the time to come, as I'm a candidate myself. Have no date yet, but that's another story....

Anyway, great to find your blog!

Valerie said...

Finally got my blog up. come see it.

Valerie

Abbie said...

Hey Jeff! How are things going? :)

*cough*iwantanupdate*cough*