Wednesday, November 21, 2007

CI: 8 days out

I just setup this blog that will be specific to my CI adventure. I had a few issues that could have derailed having surgery at this time -- insurance and a nasty little skin infection -- so I didn't feel like writing about it when it seemed like the bottom could fall out. Now, everything has fallen into place quite rapidly. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, November 29, 2007! No activation date is set yet. My CI center prefers to gauge the date after a few days of recovery. Hoping it will be before Christmas.

I still have a bit of usable hearing in my right ear when aided, so we're implanting the left. I presently wear hearing aids in both ears. I don't get any direct speech recognition from the left one, but I do find that it helps with spacial location and speech discrimination when combined with my right ear.

I chose the Advanced Bionics Harmony/HiRes 90K system, in metallic dark gray. I'm really happy they offer it in that color. After twenty years of wearing flesh colored hearing aids, it will be good to have a machine look like a machine! Choosing the brand was a difficult decision though. The Cochlear Freedom/N24 system has a lot to offer as well: more electrodes, possibly better reliability, more battery options, etc. I think what swayed me is the higher number of output circuits in the HiRes implant which enables the capability to use current steering to increase the number of spectral bands to 120 or more. From the description of CI users that have upgraded, it seems like it offers the best sound quality. I also like the full 10-year warranty on the implant. And it's black! Well, almost.

I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning, taking my family to be with the rest of the family for Thanksgiving. So won't likely post again here for a couple of days. But I plan to get into the details of my condition when I get back.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Jeff, I have the silver processor...I was so tired of the beige...I wore beige hearing aids for 30+ years, and I was ready for a change :)
I chose AB for the same reasons you did...that I felt that it would deliver the best sound quality...and I have not been disappointed. At less than a week out, music has a long way to go, but several frequencies sound VERY similar to what I remember...if not exact. I think that when I go for my next mapping it will sound even better.
One of my deepest sorrows when I lost my hearing was that I couldn't hear music anymore....that was really sad for me :(. I pretty much gave up on getting it back again and didn't even bother trying to listen to it...it hurt to listen to it and think I'd never enjoy it again. This week, however, has given me hope...not only am I able to hear the music, and it sounds similar to what I remember...I am actually able to listen to songs I don't know and occasionally pick out the lyrics. I haven't been able to do that in YEARS!!!! Unbelievable!
Okay, I won't always go nuts in the comments section, but it's been a good week, and I thought maybe it would make you feel more excited about yours ;) Counting down the days with you! :)